Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 06/07/1966
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59329 65183
- Coordinates259329, 665183
Robert Adam, 1791-9, completed posthumously. David Hamilton extensions at rear 1838, interior recast by James Sellar in 1887-8 partially or totally refaced by John Keppie 1927; 1916 John Keppie redecorated the saloon. 1955 extensive alterations and new trades' hall ceiling by Walter Underwood. Classical building. 2-storey and full attic, symmetrical 7-bay elevation, alternately recessed and advanced. Polished ashlar, rusticated ground floor with bold voussoirs to openings. Various alterations to ground floor openings, including reduction to size of main door and insertion of stained timber windows with panelled aprons. Tall 1st floor with pairs of Ionic columns supporting central pediment; 3 Adam-type Venetian windows in advanced bays (with altered glazing); console pedimented windows in recessed bays. Raised attic over 5 inner bays, central parapet with paterae, supporting Royal Arms. Set back centrally, domed drum with louvred aedicules and leaded cupola. Outer bays raised from single storey by Sellars (1887). 2 bronze panels above pedimented windows, of gryphon-flanked vases.
Small-pane glazing to main, hopper windows, plate-glass sash case to outer bays and attic.
INTERIOR: reconstructed 1887-8 by Sellars. Grand stair rises in 2 flights to 1st floor with fluted newels supporting bronze lamp standards, stained glass by Sellars.
BANQUETING HALL: remodelled by Sellars with Adam-style ceiling, replaced 1956 with African timber ceiling, silk frieze depicting Trades at work, 1902-03.
SALOON: Spanish mahogany panelled with plaster panelled ceiling. Glass by Guthrie and Wells 1897. Adamesque marble chimneypiece.
Main entrance: decorative mosaic floor inscribed "Trades House".
Part of ground floor absorbed into adjoining bank at No 99 Glassford Street.
Statement of Special Interest
Extensions of 1828 and 1838 by Hamilton. Decorations 1850 by Campbell F Bowie, now replaced. Hamilton derived the drum on Stirling's Library (listed separately), from that of the Trades House. In 1882, both Salmon and Son and Campbell Douglas and Sellars submitted designs for a new building at the site, neither was executed.
APSD. Denholm, Reid and Bolton ARCHITECTURE OF ROBERT AND JAMES ADAM. Doak (Ed) 1977, 14. GLASGHU FACIES (1872), Vol. ii, p.992. Rogerson and Leggat Smith TRADES HOUSE HANDBOOK (1961). Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.