Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 06/07/1966
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59659 64901
- Coordinates259659, 664901
Tall early 17th century tower, only surviving fragment of
Glasgow's Tolbooth, built 1626-1634 by John Boyd, architect and
Master of Works. The Tolbooth was demolished in 1921. Seven
stage square tower with open crown spire, ashlar built with
raised buckle-quoins. Moulded string courses between
stages. The steeple fomerly adjoined the Tolbooth at the W.
Roll-moulded and architraved doors to ground are 20th century
work. To each face, except that to W, to upper stages,
roll-moulded windows with decorative strapwork pediments.
7th stage with square clock faces. Corbelled parapet with
projecting square section bartizans. From these rise
flying buttresses supporting crown steeple with gilded
Statement of Special Interest
MacKechnie's article suggests the use of the buckle quoin can
be linked to a court style of the early 17th century and the
work of James Murray and William Wallace.
De-scheduled 25 August 1998.
Gomme and Walker, 1987, p44. PSAS 111: 1981 p451.
MacKechnie, ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY, vol 31: 1988, p112.
EXTRACTS FROM THE RECORDS OF THE BURGH OF GLASGOW 1573-1642.
P346ff, published 1876 by the Scottish Burgh Record Society.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.