John Burnet, 1865-66, 3-storey and basement, Italianate banking premises in Glassford Street, with J J Burnet (Son) addition of single storey banking hall in Ingram Street, 1894-6 and further storey to earlier property, 1898-99. Sculpture by George Frampton. Cream ashlar
sandstone, channelled at ground.
GLASSFORD STREET: symmetrical, 7-bay. Channelled pilastered doorpiece with broken segmental pediment and cartouche flanked by lion and unicorn; tall windows flanking at ground. Mutuled cornice over ground floor. All windows architrave. Tripartite window, (broken by door pediment) at 1st floor, with consoled cornice; corniced windows flanking smaller windows to 2nd floor with carved panels flanking centre window. Frieze above with cornice and balustrade to Doric columned loggia of 3rd floor, added by J J Burnet (Son), with 8 round-arched windows main modillion cornice. Similar details over 8 bays behind banking hall on Ingram Street elevation.
INGRAM STREET BANKING HALL: recessed bay at centre with wide composite columned entrance, cartouche in shallow segmental pediment above door, enclosed by open and broken pediment on crouching Atlantes, enclosing aediculed niche with figure of St Mungo by George Frampton; carved
panels and urn finials to parapet die flanking entrance bay. Broken and open segmental pediments to windows in outer bays, sheltering initialled cartouches, and with cavetto reveals. Dentil row below mutuled cornice; rounded corners, slightly recessed and with taller parapets each adorned with carved panel. Return elevations each with tripartite window at centre set in Ionic and Doric flanked, slightly recessed bays, and each with broken, open segmental pediment, and cartouched segmental over centre light, but without aediculed niche. Dome above hall, leaded and glazed, crowned by diminutive, domed stone tempietto with obelisk finial. Variety of glazing patterns; modern windows at ground, plate-glass sash and case at 1st and 2nd floors and casements below semi-circular fanlights of 3rd floor. Partly gilded 2-leaf decorative wrought-iron gates.
INTERIOR OF BANKING HALL: fine Edwardian Baroque interior, currently serving as the main entrance to bank, since modification of 1975. Ornate plasterwork, fine woodwork including benches and masques to consoled counter; 2 sets of gilded 2-leaf gates to earlier building. Fine stained glass windows, including oculi of dome. Marble columns.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.