Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59289 65218
- Coordinates259289, 665218
John Burnet Sen, 1876-9, banking premises, refronting of David Hamilton's earlier bank, 1841. Imposing Free Venetian front to 7-bays to Ingram Street. 3-storeys. Ashlar, channelled at ground and 1st floors. Imposing central entrance with broken pediment supported on heavy consoles and enclosing sculptured figures supporting crest. Segmental headed windows to ground floor. 1st floor windows deeply recessed behind Roman Doric pilastrade, entablature above, supporting mannered Corinthian colonnade at 2nd floor in front of round arched windows; sculptured figures by John Mossman in narrow spaces between windows. Panelled heavily bracketted main modillion cornice, balustrade die parapet. Similar detail to 1 return bay to E and W.
VIRGINIA STREET: James Salmon Sen, 1853, single storey banking chamber, now divided, at rear; (channelled pilasters and lower E elevation) rounded corners; pilastered and corniced windows, entablature and parapet; sculptured panels in round-arched windowheads to tripartite at centre, carved heraldic details to the segmental windowheads flanking, and to parapet bay above centre, with urn finialled dies. Leaded, glazed hemispherical cupola with drum ventilator.
Plate-glass glazing. Decorative cast-and wrought-iron 2-leaf gates. Lavish Interior
Statement of Special Interest
Hamilton had incorporated Buchanan Mansion, originally on this site, in his design. GLASGOW COURIER 2nd January 1830 referred to sale of "tenement built in very substantial manner within these few years". In 1853, James Salmon had created the Telling Room for Hamilton's bank. Certain interior rooms were restored by John Stewart of Motherwell in 1933, others restored in 1990's.
APSD. Information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Gomme and Walker 1987, pp. 158f, 266n, 200n, fig. 136.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.