David Hamilton, architect, 1802-1805, interior recast by
John Baird II 1876. Classically detailed with Roman
motifs. Built to replace earlier (17th century) Hospital
as a home for aged men. 2-storey and attic with tall
slender tower and spire. Polished painted ashlar,
channelled at ground.
INGRAM STREET ELEVATION: 5-bay symmetrical front.
Central doorway has Roman Doric porch and double-leaf
panelled doors. Plain rectangular windows to ground. 1st
floor is double-height with inner 3 bays recessed in the
form of a colonnade. Corinthian columns in antis flank
large square-headed consoled windows with panel frieze
above. To end bays Corinthian pilasters flank niches
(an alteration of 1824) with statues of George and
Thomas Hutcheson (the founders) carved in 1649 by JAMES
COLQUHOUN, and resited from the original 17th-century
Hospital. The glazing is 6-pane to 1st, 2-pane to ground
with partly leaded coloured glass to lower panes.
Colonnade supports frieze with inscription recording the
founders, cornice and blocking course. Above this scroll
pediment to centre, to end bays oval "Roman" alters as
finial feature linked by balustrade.
JOHN STREET ELEVATION: simpler elevation of 2 wide bays.
Pilastered doorpiece to left, tripartite window to
right. To 1st shallow pedimented tripartites with
consoles. These are flanked by paired pilasters. Cornice
with solid deep parapet above, tripartite attic windows,
that to right blind. Wallhead corniced stack with
TOWER: square based, 4-stage tower with slim needle
spire. 1st stage with round-arched window, 2nd with
louvred openings flanked by paired Tuscan columns set
across angle. These support projecting cornice; clock
face to 3rd stage. 4th stage Ionic tempietto from which
rises spire surmounted by gilded orb and cross.
INTERIOR: completely recast by John Baird II in 1876, in
heavy classical style with lavish detail. Main Hall to
1st floor, windows and doors with heavy architraves and
pediments supported on moulded consoles, double-leaf
panelled doors. Windows with painted glass panels to
upper and lower parts. Panelling to wainscott level
throughout. 2 chimneypieces with Ionic columns
supporting elaborate entablature. Ceiling divided into 3
sections with moulded dentil cornice and good ceiling
rose, decorative iron ventilators. Scale and platt stair
with carved timber balusters.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.