Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 58976 66080
- Coordinates258976, 666080
William James Anderson, 1892-95. Iron-frame, concrete clad warehouse in individualistic Italianate style. 4-storey, 8-bay to Macphater Street, 3-bay flank to Dunblane Street. Outside bays taller and more elaborately detailed. Painted rendered walling.
Mcphater Street elevation: taller pedimented entrance bay to extreme right with balcony over 2nd and large semi-circular window to 3rd, flanked by blind oculi, 3 small lights to dwarf gallery above. To remaining 7 bays, ground floor with wide pilasters or columns dividing bays which are partly glazed with timber mullions and transoms and small pane glazing. Bipartite windows to 1st, thermal windows at 2nd, pilasters divide 1st floor windows supporting moulded archivolts over arched 2nd floor windows. 3rd floor has smaller single and bipartite lights. All sash and case with small pane glazing.
Dunblane Street elevation: 3-bay with right 2 bays detailed as main facade; entrance bay to left, plainer and taller with corbelled out feature at 1st floor giving tower effect. Cornice over ground and forming 3rd floor cills, heavy eaves cornice, scalloped embattled parapet.
Statement of Special Interest
Listed category A for the very advanced construction method. Converted to boarding house, 1895.
Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Original drawings (August 1892) in Glasgow City Archives Frank Worsdall Collection, Ref A228. Altered and extended eastward by 3 bays and end pavilion in 1895 (Drawings in Worsdall Ref. A229 and D of G 1/3033). Information from Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.