Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 06/11/1966
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59200 65208
- Coordinates259200, 665208
Robert Black and James Salmon Sen, 1849-50. Extensive
15-bay (6-3-6), Renaissance style, 3-storey offices,
(now domestic) with emphasis to central bays. Painted
ashlar. Base course, channelled ground floor and deep
GROUND FLOOR: central bays to each section pilastered,
wide entrance to close in left bay of central, slightly
advanced section, now columned window in right;
Venetian windows in both floors above with segmental
shell pediments to central lights and flanking windows.
Paired semi-circular headed lights to central windows of
outer sections at ground floor, 2 windows above with
apron balustrades and segmental shell pediments,
simplified in 2nd. All remaining windows with panelled
pilasters and corniced. Crowning balustraded and solid
die parapet. Decorative cast-iron gates to close.
12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Statement of Special Interest
Major watershed in terms of commercial building for
Glasgow, comparable with Royal Bank of Scotland, Gordon
Street. 1849 work was commissioned by Archibald
MacLellan, who had run a coach building company on the
site, destroyed by fire in 1847. Leased Messrs D & J
Macdonald, the largest firm of sewed muslin
manufacturers in Glasgow, until 1855.
Gomme and Walker, 1987, p.109, fig.84. Worsdall,
VICTORIAN CITY 1982, p.52.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.