Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59212 65125
- Coordinates259212, 665125
John Craig, wright, 1775; restored by McGurn, Logan, Duncan & Opfer, 1994-5. Simplified Palladian 2-storey and attic, 5-bay town house. Ashlar front with base course, rusticated quoins and modillion cornice, rubble side elevation, harled rear. 3 central bays slightly advanced, with pediment bearing oculus. Fluted Corinthian pilasters to pedimented doorpiece. Short flight of steps to panelled 2-leaf doors set in cavetto reveals. All windows in architraves, ground floor corniced. 12-pane glazing pattern to timber sash and case windows. Basement windows flanking centre bay with cage grills. Grey slate roof with cast-iron rooflights. Corniced ashlar gablehead stacks. Decorative urns to pediment and quoins.
Passage to Virginia Court at left listed separately. Projecting piend-roofed stairtower off-centre right at rear.
Statement of Special Interest
Important surviving example of 18th century mansions which graced the Merchant City. The pediment was possibly intended for sculptural adornment. Built by Craig for himself. The restoration initiated by the Glasgow Building Preservation Trust saw the removal of paint from the masonry, and the late 19th century mansard and plate glass windows replaced with more original forms. It is now known as The Tobacco Merchants House.
Upgraded B to A November 1992.
Gomme and Walker Architecture of Glasgow (1987), p.50, fig.26. Doak (ed) Glasgow at a Glance, No16. Sketch dated 1885, ?House in Miller Street?. Williamson, Riches and Higgs, Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990), p.184.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.