Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59215 65143
- Coordinates259215, 665143
James Smith, 1863-5, completed after his death by Melvin and Leiper. 3-storey, 7-bay astylar facade to library, in Italian Renaissance design. Cream ashlar with deeply channelled pilasters and outer bays at ground. Wide semi-circular keystoned arches in outer bays (pend at N
door with shafted entrance at S), central door and 4 flanking windows, semi-circular, keystoned heads and moulded architraves. Pilastered and bracketted corniced 1st floor windows. Lugged rectangular blind panels in 2nd floor. Entablature over each floor. Main modillion cornice. Scrolled consoles support wallhead stack at centre, with decorative carving. S return, snecked rubble, by pend leading to Virginia
REAR: projecting bay to S; 5 remaining bays with stair window flanked by windows at ground and 1st floor. Plate-glass glazing to sash and case windows; small-pane at rear.
INTERIOR: library at upper level, galleried with coved ceiling and top lights, all original fittings including bookcases.
Statement of Special Interest
Drawings by J Moyr Smith, supervised by Smith. The fittings were by Melvin and Leiper. Stirlings' Library is now housed in the former Royal Exchange, and the earlier building converted to offices, but the Library
hall remains intact.
Information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. BN vol.xii, pp.292, 312, 367.
Gomme and Walker 1987, p.125m, fig.26. Doak (ed) 1977, 82.
GLASGOW HERALD 12th April 1865.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.