1630-36. 4-stage square section tower, standing
independent of the John Adam replacement to it's
original church (see Tron Kirk). Tower pierced at ground
by Tudor arches opened in 1855 by John Carrick,
architect. Tall stone facetted spire.
Harled walling with painted moulded architraves.
Ground floor, originally the position of the Tron,
altered with Tudor arches opened to allow passage of
pavement underneath. Groin vaulted ceiling with mask-
stops and central boss. All, but S elevation, with cusp-
headed windows to 2nd stage, cusped bipartites to 3rd
and clockfaces to 4th. To S lower 2 stages blind, single
window to 4th. Moulded string courses divide each floor,
moulded eaves corbels, shallow projecting painted ashlar
silhouette balustraded parapet with pinnacles to angles.
From this rises tall octagonal spire in stone with
vertical line of roll moulding to angles. Bipartite
traceried lucarnes to lower part, single light cusped
above, projecting crown balustrde to midway stage, small
lucarnes above, small pinnacles on upper corona encircle
top of spire.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.