Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59526 64880
- Coordinates259526, 664880
Former Tron Kirk by James Adam, 1793-4. Built to replace 16th century City Kirk of which only the Tron Steeple (see separate item) now remains. To the E wall a Baroque screen wall and gateway were added forming a courtyard, J J Burnet, 1899-1900. In 1981 the redundant Church was converted into a theatre by McGurn, Logan and Duncan, most of the interior being lost.
Tron Kirk: simple plain symmetrical exterior, main elevation to N. 7-bay 2-storey with advanced end and centre bays. Harled walling, single light windows, all openings with painted architraves. Central 3-window bowed bay with architraved doorpiece with dentilled cornice and fanlight. End bays with similar doorpieces. All windows single light, mainly multi-pane fixed glazing. Moulded eaves cornice, piended slate roofs. To centre below 1st floor window inset panel with City Coat of Arms.
End bays are bowed to rear and act as stair towers. Long 4-bay flanks with margined windows. Rear elevation with 2 large round-arched windows.
Interior: largely recast during conversion to theatre circa 1981. Original church galleried, this is now auditorium preserving pews. Central Adam saucer dome with good original plasterwork also survives. To ground floor internal arrangement much altered.
Screen Walls: Baroque style curtain wall enclosing small courtyard to front of Theatre and forming the main entrance to Chisholm Street and concealing an air shaft to an underground railway tunnel. Boldly channelled polished ashlar masonry, all stonecleaned. To Chisholm Street, main gateway with elaborate cast-iron gates to left. Lugged cavetto and roll-moulded doorway with oversize arch above with emphasised voussoirs, dated 1909. Balustraded parapet with end finials, to left partly refacing original wall. To extreme left wall adjoins cast-iron railings.
Statement of Special Interest
An important part of the architectural character of Glasgow, the former Tron Kirk was designed by the architect James Adam of the renowned Adam family of architects. The original church was destroyed by fire in 1793 (with only the steeple remaining, see separate listing) and the Tron Kirk was built as a replacement. The central dome in the former church (now the auditorium) contains notable Adam plasterwork.
It ceased to be a place of worship in 1946 and in 1979 the Glasgow Theatre Club was formed and leased the Tron Kirk. The main auditorium by McGurn, Logan and Duncan was completed and opened in 1982. A £5 milllion refurbishment programme by RMJM architects was carried out from 1996-1999.
References from previous list description: Gomme and Walker 1987, p.47, 62, 371. Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. D of G Ref 1/7227 for Burnet's screen wall and gateway. Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856-9); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p158. www.tron.co.uk (accessed 23 March 2010).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.