Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

111 QUEEN STREET AND 46-58 (EVEN NOS) ROYAL EXCHANGE SQUARE, GALLERY OF MODERN ART (FORMER STIRLING'S LIBRARY, FORMER CUNNINGHAME MANSION AND FORMER ROYAL EXCHANGE)Reference: LB32818

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 06/07/1966

Location

  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 59125 65288
  • Coordinates259125, 665288

Description

E end (former Cunningham Mansion), 1778, altered and

enlarged for Royal Exchange, David Hamilton, 1827-30,

with 2nd E attic by Hamilton, 1880. Sculpture by James

Fillans. Cream and yellow ashlar. 3-storey (2nd as full

attic above cornice), attic to E end, and basement.

E ELEVATION: imposing 7-bay Corinthian, pedimented

portico, octostyle, with giant order on low plinth; full

entablature and pediment and within portico coffered

ceiling. 5 tripartite doorways flanked by windows,

divided by panelled pilasters, cornice above as cill

course for 5 architraved and corniced 1st floor windows.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Wide advanced bay at centre with

segmental tripartite window, with Corinthian column

mullions and flanking pilasters, entablature as lintel

and shallow fanlight and Soanic incised detail replacing

architrave. Recessed outer bays with round-arched

windows at ground and small windows above, flanked by

giant Corinthian pilasters. Blocking course above

modillioned cornice raised at centre with diminutive

pedimented crowning details.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: 9 bays to W (Hamilton, circa 1830)

and 5 bays to E (Cunningham Mansion) linked by

modillioned cornice. Corinthian hexastyle screen to W

and, with entablature and parapet, with large anthemion

finials to dies. 5 advanced bays to E with giant

Corinthian pilastrade; doorway at centre of N elevation;

pilaster jambs to corniced windows at ground and

consoled pediments to those at 1st floor; small windows

with shouldered architraves in parapet, with panelled

dies bearing scrolls; slate mansard (1880) with 3

segmental leaded dormer windows each side. Set behind

portico at E end, tall Corinthian peristyle lantern on

channelled masonry base with projecting clock faces, and

with open crown and shallow ogee dome.

Small-pane, margin glazing pattern to ground floor sash

and case windows of E bays, with plate-glass glazing to

round-arched windows, and to sash and case at 1st floor.

INTERIOR: inlaid marble vestibule with coffered ceiling;

scagliola pedimented doorpiece; oval well with

decorative ironwork balustrade; decorative leaded oval

skylight above further inlaid marble floor. Decorative

plasterwork to aisled hall, with massive Corinthian

columns and entablature; flat ceilings above aisles.

Decorative cast-iron, partly gilded, railings and

pedestals front basement area.

Statement of Special Interest

Cunningham of Lainshaw commissioned the original mansion. Stirling's Library was formerly housed in Miller Street. Gomme and Walker point out the influence of Soane on the design, especially his Bank of England. Surrounding terraces of square, the Bank at W end (92-100 Buchanan Street), and the Wellington statue are listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker 1987. J Swan SELECT VIEWS OF GLASGOW 1829.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 31/05/2016 04:55