This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 06/07/1966


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 59142 65345
  • Coordinates259142, 665345


David Hamilton, circa 1834. 3-storey and attic

classical office building. Razor-sharp ashlar masonry.

Symmetrial 7 bays.

Entrance at centre, flanked by broad panelled pilasters

and with paired consoles to cornice; "St George's

Buildings" on lintel and 2-leaf panelled doors retained.

Modern shop front to right, with that to left retaining

earlier details, and with panelled pilasters closing

either side; frieze and cornice above. Giant order.

Corinthian pilasters dividing 1st and 2nd floor windows;

taller windows at 1st floor with pilastered jambs and

corniced, distinctive 12-pane glazing pattern; cill

course to architraved, 2nd floor windows. Fluted

entablature above 2nd floor with scrolled acanthus

panels as metopes; dentil cornice above. 3 centre bays

of attic breaking attic cornice with blocking course

above, and round-arched windows flanked by panelled

pilasters. Windows in flanking outer bays with

shouldered surrounds. Slate roof with slate-hung dormer.

Sash and case windows.

Statement of Special Interest

Built on site of Hamilton's earlier building in Queen

Street, the Theatre Royal of 1804, which was destroyed

in 1829. Built for Archibald MacLellan. David Walker

demonstrates the influence of Hamilton's use of the

Giant order on Alexander Thomson.



Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.84n, 143, 150, figs.57, 128a.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at