This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 58937 65004
  • Coordinates258937, 665004


James Miller, 1896. Flemish Renaissance 2-storey former

underground railway station. Rectangular plan; free-

standing. Polished ashlar. Plinth, continuous ground

floor moulded cill band. Pepper-pot turrets to each

angle corbelled out with fluted pilaster strips supported

on cill band; sculpted pilasters in frieze; swept roofs,

decorative finials; narrow architraved lights to N

turrets. Mainly architraved casement windows with

geometric glazing bars. Slate roof. Central corniced

ridge stack.

ELEVATION TO N: central, arched entrance with sculpted

hoodmould and corbelled label stops flanked by narrow

lights with sculpted architraves; 1st floor pierced

balcony on massive corbels, 4 regular lights, outer

colonettes supporting sculpted animals; shaped, gable

flanked by obelisks and surmounted by sculpted acroterion;

aediculed clock. Repeated in simplified at S form with 3

ground floor windows, fluter outer piers, and sculpted


WESTERN AND EASTERN ELEVATIONS: ground floor single light

window with sculpted architrave flanked by 2-light, stone

mullioned and transomed windows similarly architraved.

1st floor central projecting 2-light half-dormer window

on massive sculpted corbels, pedimented and sculpted

profile flanked by corbelled half-dormers with shell

heads and ball finials.

Statement of Special Interest



Information by courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland Research


RSA 1906 No 307.

Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.56, 255, 295. Doak (ed) 1977 No.167.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at