Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59103 65359
- Coordinates259103, 665359
J M Dick Peddie, 1904-8. French Renaissance commercial building. 6-storey, 2 attics and basement. 13-bay, with outer 3 bays each side advanced. Cream sandstone ashlar; channelling with rounded arrises at ground and 1st floor. Large segmentally pedimented porch oversailing basement at centre, with coupled Doric columns on polished granite bases, adjoined to basement area balustrade. Balustraded steps oversailing basement to subsidiary architraved and corniced doorways. Similar to outer right bay. Keystoned round-arched 1st floor windows, divided by brackets of 2nd floor balustrade, "Scottish Provident Institute", in gilded letters, emblazoned at centre. Consoled cills
with panelled aprons to round arched keystoned 3rd floor windows with open pediments. Smaller architraved 4th floor windows. Tetrastyle Ionic columns through 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors in advanced outer bays. Main entablature and with full attic floor above, in-set windows detailed as 4th floor, divided by panelled bays; eaves cornice and die balustrade. Leaded French pavilion roofs (with 2 attics) above outer bays, with oculi. Coped ashlar end stacks. Slate mansard.
Casement windows, with mannered glazing E elevation to North Court: main facade continues to 1st return bay then very simplified.
REAR ELEVATION: glazed brick, modern windows.
INTERIOR: some good woodwork inside.
Statement of Special Interest
Building begun in 1904 but not completed until after 1908, when a further Dean of Guild application was made. The rear elevation lowers over the rear of the Royal Exchange Square to S.
Gomme and Walker 1987, p.226.
NMRS Dick Peddie and McKay index.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.