This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 59133 65416
  • Coordinates259133, 665416


James Miller, 1906-7. Edwardian Renaissance detail, 7-storey

and basement, 7-bay commercial building. Elaborate Carrara

wear, faience facade; brick side and rear. Round-arched

doorway at centre with masque keystone, putti in spandrels

and Ionic columned, segmental porch; large rusticated windows

flanking with Mercury-masque keystones; corniced Ionic porch

in each outer bay with cartouche above. Consoled balcony to

2nd floor with gilded shields; 3 centre bays at 2nd floor

(framed) with channelled pilasters and forming plinth for

tripartite recess of 3rd, 4th and 5th floors, divided by

giant order Ionic columns; dentil cornice; balustraded eaves

gallery with 3 column-framed openings to centre 6th floor

windows. Simplified outer bays.

ANCHOR LANE ELEVATION: 6 irregularly spaced bays, with faience

facing to outer left bay including moulded panel of windows.

Large multi-pane metal-framed windows in remaining bays with

dividing brick bands.

CITIZEN LANE (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular openings with large

windows detailed as Anchor Lane elevation.

Small-pane sash and case windows. Decorative wrought-iron

2-leaf gates and overthrow to main entrance, and railings to

basement recess.

INTERIOR: No 12: entrance hall with fine oak woodwork including

wainscot panelling, and segmental panel with fluted Ionic

columns and cartouches surrounding marble chimneypiece;

exuberant 18th century style plasterwork with wreaths,

modillions and swagged fruit. Interiors of W offices modernised.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Henderson Brothers of Anchor Line, hence the

nautical emblems, seaweed an shell details, modelled by H H

Martyn of Cheltenham.



B J 28th November 1906. B 29 June 1907. Further information

courtesy of David Walker.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at