This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 59110 65421
  • Coordinates259110, 665421


T L Watson, 1885-9. Dutch Renaissance, 4-storey, attic

and basement office building and printing works. 6

asymmetrical bays. Red Ballochmyle sandstones; brick rear;

fireproof construction.

Arched openings to ground with doorway off-centre to

left; 2-leaf panelled doors with fanlight. Ground floor

bays divided by panelled pilasters; 3 right bays with

Corinthian detailed treatment to portico, ornately carved

columns. Roundel freize above ground floor, with CITIZEN

OFFICE in roundels of right half. Mullioned and transomed

bipartites at 1st and 2nd floor, with 2 canted bays

off-centre to right at 1st floor. Consoled balconies to

2nd floor flat windows and above canted bays. Ornate

frieze above 2nd floor, broken by pedimented panels over

each window. 4 depressed arches with recess windows to

3rd floor, with elaborate carving to dividing piers and


Corbelled clock to outer right at 3rd floor with 2 faces,

and single window to outer left with segmental pediment.

1 dormer to outer left with broken segmental pediment;

2 stepped and scrolled gables at centre and right with

round-arched bipartite windows flanked by slender columns.

Octagonal turret with arcaded and leaded cupola to outer

right. Modern small-pane timber glazing at ground; plate

glass casements above slated roofs with clay ridge tiles.

CITIZEN LANE (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical with bipartite

windows and 2 wallhead gables.

INTERIOR: simple coffered ceiling to main office,

pilasters with ornate capitals; panelled ingoes to round-

arched windows.

Statement of Special Interest

Commissioned by James Hedderwick and Sons as EVENING

CITIZEN newspaper offices. Early and striking design in

red sandstone construction, enhanced by the white faience

and sandstone of flanking buildings. Carving by James

Hendry. W J Anderson draughted the ground floor in his

time as office assistant to T L Watson.



BA 31 May 1889. BN 2 January 1891, ACADEMY ARCHITECTURE

1893 p.69. Hume 1974, p.210. Worsdall VICTORIAN CITY p.61.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at