This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 59080 65433
  • Coordinates259080, 665433


John Burnet Sen, 1870-73. Asymmetrical 7-bay Venetian

Renaissance, 3-storey and basement bank. White sandstone

ashlar, channelled at ground with vermiculated quoins;

mutule cornice above ground, moulded 2nd floor cill

course and modillion main cornice; balustrade and dies

with finials. Main entrance bay wider and slightly

advanced, off-centre to right. Tripartite doorway with

semi-circular door flanked by polished granite columns

with Ionic capitals, heraldic carving, various moulded

bands and Father Clyde keystone. Round-arched window above

set in tripartite panel, flanked by paired Ionic columns

and with broken-open segmental pediment above enclosing

cartouche; figures flanking with further paired outer

columns bearing statue figure groups. 3 2nd floor

windows to entrance bay divided by paired pilasters and

columns. Moulded parapet with shell ornament over main

cornice and broken segmental pediment clasping plinth for

urn; flanking pedestals with urn finials.

Cupped roundels holding masques in spandrels between

round-arched ground floor windows. Outer bay to left with

paired arches, outermost as door.

Round-arched 1st floor windows with dividing Ionic

columns and pilasters, architraved at 2nd with dividing

Corinthian order in similiar pattern. Outer left bay with

paired Ionic columns above ground floor, Corinthian to

2nd floor.

Round-arched windows in timber bipartite form with

attached, slender cast-iron column mullions and stone

lintels. Plate glass casement and sash and case windows.

INTERIOR: square 5 x 5 bay cortile Banking Hall, echoing

Brunelleschi's Ospedal degli Innocenti, Florence, at

ground and attached Ionic columns. Similarly detailed

upper gallery with narrower arches and bipartite openings;

modillion cornice; head roundels to spandrels. Segmentally

arched and coffered ceiling with oval glass dome and

decorative leaded glazing, ribbed and glazed oval cupola.

Fine consoled mahogany island counter.

Statement of Special Interest

Sculpture by John Mossman, other figures by Grassby.

Original cost, $35,000. Alterations by John Burnet and

Son, 1902, to interior of western bays, and alteration

to westmost doorway.



BN 19th September 1873. BAILLIE 12 April 1871, F Worsdall

VICTORIAN CITY p.60. Additional information courtesy of

Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at