Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 56078 66960
- Coordinates256078, 666960
William Leiper (Melvin and Leiper), won in competition, 1865-66. Normandy Gothic church, steeple 195ft (60m). Nave, aisles, chancel, transeptal galleries, 4-stage tower, spire. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Buttressed. Set on plinth.
Entrance front: arched, gabletted, moulded doorway with colonettes, at base of tower. Flanking tripartite aisle windows with geometrical tracery.
Elevation to E: ground floor plate tracery windows with hoodmoulds separated by buttresses, 5 gabletted gallery windows above with geometrical tracery; raked cill band; bipartite pointed window in S bay with central colonette and responds and zig-zag hoodmould, pointed arched entrance with sculpted tympanum.
Tower: 2nd stage plate tracery, 3rd stage blind arcade with tall colonettes, 4th stage bellcote with linked bipartite plate traceried openings, spire with angle lucarnes and plate-traceried openings, tall stone spire. Low, 2-storey halls and offices to rear at N; linking section with lancets in arches at ground floor. N office section with 2-storey polygonal attached turret at NW corner. Hipped roofs with half dormers.
Interior: very wide span church, galleried on cast-iron columns, cusped, carved balcony front. Plate-traceried W rose window. Arcaded, canopied pulpit with parapet, bowed in centre with continuous dwarf columns. Columned stair screens to left and right of vestibule. Stained glass by Daniel Cottier, traces of original stencil decorative scheme.
Statement of Special Interest
Built in 1865-6 as a United Presbyterian church this was the first major commission for the important architect William Leiper. Designed in a Normandy Gothic style, it has a remarkably striking steeple and it also has a very high quality interior with painted decoration and stained glass by the artist Daniel Cottier. It was converted by the Four Acres Charitable Trust from 1989 into the Cottier Theatre with a performance venue in the church and café/bar in the hall and operated from 1994 to 2004 when a restoration programme was begun. No longer a place of worship.
References from previous list description: Gomme and Walker, 1968, p 291. Information by courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit. Williamson, Riches and Higgs, GLASGOW (1990) p356.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1892-7); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p356. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.