A G Thomson, Architect & Civil Engineer, 1887. 2-storey and attic, rectangular-plan, Baronial lodge and teaching building with single storey former Janitor's House adjoining to S. Conical-roofed stairtower to NW angle; decorative mid 17th-century sculptural fragments from demolished Old College (High Street) incorporated into exterior. Polished and droved ashlar sandstone. Base course; eaves cornice; architraved openings with strapwork pediments.
N (UNIVERSITY AVENUE) ELEVATION: arched entrance to loggia with rusticated surround; 2 similarly treated windows to right. 1st floor elaborately sculpted pedimented panel flanked by semi-engaged urns; 2 windows to right with strapwork pediments and massive corbel table in front, similar dormers above; E gable with inscribed panel. NW stair tower with dormers and pepperpot roof. E ELEVATION: arcaded loggia, windows with corbel table above; crow-stepped gable with eaves course and window. S ELEVATION: arched entrance set in relieving pilasters to loggia, carved panel above; regularly placed, strapwork pedimented windows and dormers; lower single storey building to S similarly detailed rusticated quoins, skewputts. W ELEVATION: crow-stepped gable, similar detailing; rope moulding date panel "ANN DOM 1658" tall, narrow corniced gable stacks.
Small-pane timber windows, some sash and case some fixed pane with top hoppers. Pitched slate roof; crowstepped gables; tall offset diamond-plan stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen 2010). Original room plan largely extant. Simple cornicing to most rooms. Stone spiral stair. Large attic teaching room with braced timber roof structure; timber lining boards; plain timber fireplace (blocked); decorative iron vent.
Statement of Special Interest
Pearce Lodge is part of an A-Group with McMillan Reading Room, Gatepiers, Railings, Lord Kelvin's Sundial, Quincentenary Gates, Hunter Memorial, John McIntyre Building, Thomson Building, James Watt Building and Gilbert Scott Buildings.
Pearce Lodge is of particular significance for the incorporation and replication of mid-17th-century sculptural fragments from the Old College buildings in the High Street (demolished in the 1870s for creation of a railway goods yard). The fragments bear testament to the high quality and magnificence of the Renaissance Palace-style complex used by the University until its removal to Gilmorehill.
The building is named after Sir William Pearce of the Fairfield Shipping & Engineering Co., who provided the money for the rescue of decorative elements of the Old College and their incorporation into the new lodge at Gilmorehill. Alexander George Thomson, the architect and civil engineer, had previously campaigned unsuccessfully against demolition of the Old College buildings.
Most of the decorative masonry fragments are from the High Street frontage of Old College of 1654-60 by John Clerk. The N and E elevations of Pearce Lodge form an approximate reproduction of the old High Street central gateway and its flanking bays with consoled balconies. The Royal Coat of Arms was reputedly added to Old College in 1660 to celebrate the restoration of Charles II.
Formerly listed as '1K Gilmorehill, University of Glasgow, Pearce Lodge, comprising Gateway, Janitor's House and Classrooms'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1894; Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL; R W Billings, The Baronial and Ecclesiastical Antiquities of Scotland, 4v; D H Weir, J Veitch, J B Cowan, Memorials of the Old College of Glasgow, (1871); A Ross and J Hume, 'A new and splendid edifice': the Architecture of the University of Glasgow, (1975) pp. 6-10; A Gomme, D Walker, Architecture of Glasgow, (1987) pp. 45-47; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 185; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 337; A L Brown, M Moss, The University of Glasgow: 1451-1996, (1996); D Grant, 'The Removal of the University of Glasgow to Woodlands Hill and Gilmorehill 1853-83' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol. 135 (2005), pp. 213-258; 'Pearce Lodge' search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03-03-2010); 'Old College' search at www.theglasgowstory.com (accessed 03-03-2010).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.