Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 24/07/1973
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 58730 65422
- Coordinates258730, 665422
Alexander Kirkland and John Bryce, 1849. 3-storey and basement commercial terrace block, formerly symmetrical with advanced
pavilions at centre and ends until western pavilion was
demolished. Heavily restored in parts. Ashlar arcaded
Corinthian ground floor with modern shops inserted. Bays
arranged 7-5-7 stepped on slope. 1st 5 bays from E with
advanced ground floor mutule cornice. All windows sash and
case in architraves; 1st floor windows corniced consoled in
outer bays. Plain eaves entablature, dentil band, modillion
cornice; sculpted lion heads; balustraded parapet with stone
piers breaking forward. Nos 2-18 have replica ground floor
ELEVATION TO HOPE STREET: 10 bays repeating arrangement of
outer bays in Bothwell Street.
Statement of Special Interest
The western pavilion was replaced by the National Commercial
Bank. Alterations to central 5-bay section H E Clifford 1892,
S.R. Archives, D of G, 1/1908.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
Glasgow Past and Present (2nd ed). B. Feb 16 1850
Gomme and Walker, 1968 p 111.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.