This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 59018 65434
  • Coordinates259018, 665434


D and J Hamilton with the assistance of J T Rochead,

1841. 3 storey, basement and attic. Italianate palazzo

style club building, 5 x 5 bays. Ashlar, channelled at

ground floor, unfortunate modern suface. All windows

sash and case in architraves. Consoled and corniced at

3rd floor. 1st and 2nd floor cill bands. Main entablature

with consoled eaves, coupled at section ends, and

punched with windows; mutule cornice, parapet with

raised piers to St Vincent Street; end and ridge stacks.

ELEVATION TO BUCHANAN STREET: full basement, 1-3-1 bays,

outer bays breaking forward; coupled square-pillared

Corinthian porch, arched entrance, flanked by

round-head windows in recesses. 1st floor windows in

centre bays single-light, consoled and corniced. Ground

and 1st floor outer bays tripartite windows. Pierced

balconies on console brackets and block frieze on 1st

floor. Boundary cast-iron railings on low stone wall.

ELEVATION TO ST VINCENT STREET: plinth; ground floor

round-headed windows in recesses on advanced aprons.

1st floor windows corniced.

Statement of Special Interest

An addition to W by John Honeyman 1871, now demolished.

Interior gutted and reconstructed.

Upgraded B to A 21.7.88



Gildard Phil Soc. Doak (ed) 1977 No 30. Gomme and Walker,

1968 pp 84-6, 94, 186, 255. APSD.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at