Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 06/07/1966
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59037 65562
- Coordinates259037, 665562
Sir J J Burnet and J A Campbell, 1891-3. Eclectic with Renaissance detail, pioneer vertical (elevator) building. 5 storeys and basement, 3 main bays. Ashlar, channelled at ground floor, metal window frames. Narrow gabled northern stair tower. Broad doorway with mannerist
window above. 1st floor canted balustraded balcony; above full-height (interrupted by small pedimented window) thin pilaster strips between clasping octagonal piers, rising to small turret; irregular fenestration; some steps between pilaster strips; cornice; octagonal
"Tower of the Winds" cupola.
Gabled section to S, 2 windows to ground floor. Giant arched central recess rising from 1st to 4th floor; 2nd and 3rd floor windows canted, 1st and 2nd set into metal frames, 3rd floor stone window, corbelled with central aediculed window, balcony above; octagonal piers at outer ends of balcony supporting seated sculpted figures. 4th floor window set under wide, keystoned arch, aedicule with sculpted figure in niche at gable apex; turret at southern angle similar to that of stair tower.
INTERIOR: squat-columned theatre interior survives, including seating, simple proscenium. Wrought-iron lift shaft.
Statement of Special Interest
An important work by the celebrated architects J J Burnet and J A Campbell, the former Athenaeum Theatre was built in 1891-3. The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes that this was a pioneering 'elevator' style building where height made the most of the narrow Glasgow plot.
It was purpose-built to train drama students and contained a theatre, billiard room, dining room and gymnasium.
References from previous list description: B Oct 21 1893. Doak (ed) 1977 No 126. D Walker in A Service (ed), 'Edwardian Architecture and its origins 1975'. S R Archives, D of G 1/1072
Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 204-5, 210, 255.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1892-7); Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p249. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 22 March 2010).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.