This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 58168 65742
  • Coordinates258168, 665742


Main block, Charles Wilson, 1846. Italian Renaissance. 2

storeys, 11 bays; later attic. Ashlar, channelled central

piers and quoins. 4 central projecting piers supporting standing

figure sculptures by John Mossman of Homer, Cicero, Galileo,

and Watt, circa 1880. Arched central doorway and flanking

windows with sculpted responds and spandrels. Deep plinth with

v-joints to panels below ground floor cill band. Sash and case

windows with decorative glazing bars; ground floor windows

roundheaded with block surrounds; 1st floor windows on ground

floor entablature; arched with panelled spandrels, cornices.

Main entablature; consoled cornice, dentil band.

Triumphal arches with channelled piers link central block to

4-bay wings, McLure 1875 and 1887 (S wing dated), similarly

detailed to main block.

71-83 HOLLAND STREET: J L Cowan, completed 1897. 2-storey,

7-bay block with entrance bay and 2 additional western bays.

Ashlar, channelled at ground floor, rusticated quoins. Entrances

in outer bays breaking through ground floor entablature with

channelled voussoirs, corniced. Segmentally headed ground floor

windows. 1st floor windows casements in arched recesses with

panelled spandrels, corniced. Modillion cornice above. Blank

linking bay with oculus above entrance at No 71 Holland Street.

2 Gibbs surround windows at 1st floor in southern bays; 1st

floor cornice, parapet.

SCIENCE BLOCK: John Watson (Watson, Salmond, and Gray) 1931-32. Classical 3-storeys, 8 bays to Elmbank Street. Ashlar,

channelled at ground floor. Giant pilasters rising from 1st to

2nd floor. Ground floor 2-light windows, recessed with marginal

glazing. Entablature; piended slate roof. Linked to northern

wing by paired, pilastered triumphal arch.

LODGES, HOLLAND STREET: Watson, Salmond and Gray, 1938. French Renaissance. Pair of single storey and attic lodges, pedimented

full dormers. Channelled piers with urns flank entrances with

Gibbs surrounds, Quadrant screen walls swept to meet retaining

wall. Central wrought-iron gateway with elaborate overthrow.

Rear elevation: tripartite, pilastered basement refuge with

surrounding architrave. 2 3-light windows; 3 dormers.

Rusticated retaining walls with ashlar, segmental headed piers, cast-iron balusters. Imperial ashlar staircase with die walls

to Elmbank Street.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly Glasgow Academy, became Glasgow High School, now

Strathclyde Regional Council.

Upgraded B to A 21.7.88



Plans NMRS. APSD. BI April 15, 1896. S. R. Archives, D of G.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at