This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 06/07/1966


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 58959 65350
  • Coordinates258959, 665350


David Rhind (Edinburgh) 1854-7 for Commercial Bank. Renaissance. Sculpture by Handyside Ritchie 3 and 4 storeys with double-height banking hall at ground floor offices above. 11 bays, arranged 3-5-3 divided by quoins. Central bays raised. Polished ashlar with vermiculated rusticated ground floor and quoins. Roll moulded plinth. Arched ground floor with keystone masks, incised frieze, sculpted cherubic panels of industry; stepped aprons. Dentil band, guilloche frieze. 1st floor: aedicule windows with balconies, Corinthian antae and columns to each section with richly sculpted tympana of cherubim with heraldry over centre bay of each.

2nd floor windows plain with lugged, dropped architraves. 2nd floor entablature with guilloche frieze sculpted panels over quoin strips, dentil band, modillion cornice. Balustrade die parapet to outer bays. Central bays 3rd floor eaves gallery with keyblocked arched windows set in Corinthian semi-engaged colonnade, independent, deeply bracketted cornice.

INTERIOR: by James McCallum 1937 with sculpture by J H Clark. Marble-lined banking hall with shallow coved ceiling. Sculpted tablets of industry in frieze.

Statement of Special Interest

This No 78 palazzo style design was influential in commercial buildings of the 1860s and 1870s. Now Royal Bank of Scotland.



Information by courtesy fo Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.



Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 120-1; 289.

Doak (ed) 1977.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at