Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 58793 65372
- Coordinates258793, 665372
Alexander Thomson (A and G Thomson), 1864, with later additional storeys by J H Craigie, 1902-07. 1st-3rd floors with distinctive Thomsonesque Greek details. 6 storeys and attic with modern shops at ground floor. 15 bays. Polished ashlar. Mostly casement windows.
1ST FLOOR: pilaster aedicule windows on continuous incised podium breaking forward at bases; each window has incised ornament at frieze and projecting cornice with antefixae and acroters; dado with anthemion and palmette; frieze sculpted anthemion separating bays; blind aedicules
in outer bays.
2ND FLOOR: stylised pilaster order with recessed glazing; blind outer bays with geometric incised design; entablature with disc and anthemion and palmette frieze, projecting cornice.
3RD FLOOR: former eaves gallery supported on sculpted consoles; geometric Greek and incised star and disc frieze; cornice.
4th and 5th floor on continuous podium; elaborate Edwardian Graeco- Baroque top hammer. Bays arranged 1-3-2-3-2-3-1: 2 outer, 1 central with tetrastyle Ionic fluted attached porticos, pedimented in centre; pilaster architraved to 4th floor with mutual cornice; pilasters
dividing bays rising through 4th and 5th floors. Main cornice with full entablature. Central 3-bay window with elaborate central aedicule in attic storey 3-bay cupolas over exaggerated attic windows in outer bays with 3-lights separated by carved consoles, broken, shaped cornice
above cut by single light corniced windows. Set-back dormers.
Statement of Special Interest
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
APSD. S R Archives, D of G (DOPW 19) 21 July 1864, A and G Thomson given permission "to re-erect or alter a tenement recently destroyed by fire in Gordon Street". MacFadzean, Thomson (illustration prior to addition of top storeys). S R Archives D of G1/9049 (1902)
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.