This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 58383 65127
  • Coordinates258383, 665127


Circa 1855. Tall classical U-plan warehouse, 5 storeys over raised basement, 13 bays arranged 1-4-3-4-1. Ashlar frontage wide band over plinth, channelled ground floor. End and 3 centre bays with giant Roman Doric pilasters, at centre supporting pediment enclosing barrel, anchor and packing case, with crowning giant anthemion. Central semi-circular

headed voussoired and keystoned entrance with boarded and iron-banded 2-leaf door and wicket. All windows with cills and plain arrises. Entablature, block pediments to end bays. Symmetrical rear (U-plan) elevation.

INTERIOR: timber beams and floors supported on cast-iron columns, later with pairs of ribs for the sub-division of the store. Converted to flatted accommodation, now known as Altlantic Apartments.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Harvie and McGavin. 1901 survey drawings by HE Clifford for George Sheriff, drawings in Frank Worsdall Collection in Glasgow City Archives, Ref B102 (February 1997).



J Hume, 1974 p 232 Gomme and Walker 1968 p 291. Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at