J W Simpson and Milner Allen (London), 1892 (competition) complete 1901; sculpture supervised and partly executed by George Frampton, other sculptors involved, W Birnie Rhind, E G Bramwell, Johann Keller, A McF Shannon, F Derwent Wood, A Falkner. 1, 2 and 3 storeys. Profusely decorated, free classical style museum and art gallery. Mainly symmetrical. Central block with linking sections and pavilions, square towers to angles in each section. Various roof heights, hipped or mansard roofs. 3-storey navicular central block embedded in plan, flanked by tall 4-stage towers at N. Polished ashlar, banded at ground floor, rusticated basement.
Elevation to N: 17 unequal bays arranged 1-5-5-5-1, wings and centre raised and projecting, centre raised and advanced in outer bays. 5-storey entrance porch with parapetted side steps with flanking piers. Central figure sculpture of St Mungo in arched, open niche with sculpted spandrels. 1st floor 6-light arched casement windows. Corner tourelles at 3rd floor with central aedicule, broken pedimented window, section above pedimented with open, arcaded roof lantern. Pedimented 1st floor outer bays with figure sculpture above flanked by tourelles.
Recessed linking sections with 9-light casement windows divided by pilasters, bracketted cornice, balustraded parapet with obelisk die.
Wings: shallow, bowed ground floor window, blind 1st floor, balustraded parapet, thermal window above surmounted by sculpture.
W return: detailing as N elevation in 5 bays with flanking towers.
S elevation to Argyle Street: as N elevation with differing centre. 3-bay single storey porte cochere at head of steps, arched, divided by pilasters, independent cornice, die parapet. 3-storey, 5-bay main section advanced with flanking towers, bays arranged 1-3-1. Mansard roofs to outer bays, segmentally pedimented dormers to centre flanked by 3-light Tuscan column-mullioned windows.
Interior: double volume main hall, galleried, ashlar lined with coupled, blocked columns.
Statement of Special Interest
Only permanent building of International Exhibition 1901. Listed category A for high quality of sculpture.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88. Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising 10 Dumbarton Road, Partick Bridge over River Kelvin, Partick Sewage Pumping Station, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block and The Cameronians Monument.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.