Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59024 65465
- Coordinates259024, 665465
John Burnet 1875-7; Sir J J Burnet western addition 1894-8 and 1904, re-cast behind the facade. 3 and 4-storey commercial building with modern shops at ground floor. Venetian Gothic. 4 x 9 bays, original block 4 x 5 bays, 4-bay W addition arranged 3-1. Polished ashlar with deep geometric 1st floor frieze.
Corner 4 x 5 bay E block arranged 1-3 and 4-1: boldly arcaded ground and 1st floor with stylised columns and corner pilasters, sculpted roundels in spandrels, bipartite windows in tympana; 2nd floor continuous fenestration behind arcade with sculpted colonnettes, panels in blank frieze above, figure sculpture to N and E at NE corner; advanced entrance bays to W and S, corbel arched balcony with sculpted figure stops at SE entrance, single column supporting corbelled table at NW. Continuous elaborately bracketted cornice; parapet, pierced before windows, 3 bipartite, arched dormers with finials to Buchanan Street, 1 to Nelson Mandela Place, larger dormers with balconies in front over entrance bays, coped gable with finial, 2 bipartite windows with circular window over to NE bay.
Slate roofs of varying heights and pitch.
W BAYS TO NELSON MANDELA PLACE: tall arcade in 1st 3 E bays with slim colonnettes rising through 1st and 2nd floor, geometric frieze, bracketted cornice. 3 window single W outer bay, arcaded 1st floor with coupled colonnettes, slim colonnettes; segmental heads rising through 2nd and 3rd floor, corbelled balcony to 4th floor before aedicule window with tracery as NE block. Narrow additional W bay with similar detailing, corbelled balcony to 1st floor window.
Statement of Special Interest
Formerly St George's Place.
B N March 2, 1877. Doak (ed) 1977 No 98, Gomme and Walker 1968 pp 160, 178, 255, 297. BI July 15, 1904. Glasgow City Archives Frank Worsdall Collection, Ref A488 for Burnet's original drawings, dated 1874 and A489 for J J Burnet's extension, dated June 1903. Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.