This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 04/11/1971


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Balmaclellan

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 65967 80640
  • Coordinates265967, 580640


Dated 1648 over door. L-plan tower house, 2-storey with

attic, single-storey addition of 18th/19th century to W. The

tower was extensively restored in 1971 and some window

surrounds and openings are new work; rubble walling, battered

boulder base.

Roll-moulded doorway in re-entrant angle with heraldic panel

above dated 1648 and with the escutcheon and initials of

William McLellan and Mary (?Margaret) Gordon. Further

roll-moulded door to N, conversion from original roll-moulded

window reusing old jambs. Windows mainly roll-moulded, some

smaller windows with chamfered jambs. 3 pedimented dormers, 2

heavily restored; that to N blank. 2 to W elevation: to left

original work with initials WMG and date 1648, that to right

HW 1971 (Sir Hugh Wontner). N dormers flank massive wallhead

stack, smaller end stacks with thackstanes.

Skews of unusual pattern; flat skew slabs interrupted by

kneelers; run-off skewputts. Slate roofs.

Single storey and attic addition partially (modern) harled to

W; roof pitch raised 1971 and depressed arch opening to W

gable slapped through.

INTERIOR: ground floor contains usual cellarage though it is

not vaulted. Newel stair in jamb, hall to 1st floor and

bedrooms above. All floors renewed, some original corbels

support hall ceiling joists; otherwise no original internal


Statement of Special Interest



Inv 35. MacGibbon and Ross, C and D vol iii p 523.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at