Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 58542 65097
- Coordinates258542, 665097
J A Campbell 1901. Tall 5-storey and attic, Glasgow style office building. Red sandstone ashlar.
MAIN BLOCK TO ROBERTSON STREET: 5 bays channelled piers at ground with central Doric columned and open pedimented doorpiece with lions heads and fruit, keystoned 1st floor windows, galleried 4th floor with corbelled balcony and squat Doric columns; deep bracketted main cornice. Single bay to S flanked by pilaster strips, corbelled at 1st, 3-light windows, that in 4th with decorative head below gable. N angle corbelled to round for 2 storeys over ground, ship's prow under 1st floor central aedicule. Swags link cherubic head corbels turning drum to semi-octagon (3rd to 5th) with angle strips and Jacobean frieze above 4th floor. Very deep eaves encircling stack at S, ogee roof with apex finial.
ROBERTSON LANE: 1 gabled ashlar bay, remainder brick with simplified details including NW angle details, segmental headed, keyblocked windows in pairs. 6 unequal bays on rear (W) elevation.
Semi-enclosed courtyard to rear with glazed brick elevations, shallow canted bays with metal framed casement windows.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for Robert Buchanan & Co, Carting Contractors.
Gomme and Walker 1968, p.299. S.R. Archives, D of G 1901 1/8085, 1/8662. Additional information by courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow Council.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.