Sir J J Burnet. 1883-6 N section. 1905-8 corner with
Broomielaw. Beaux Art Renaissance with fine sculpture by
Albert Hodge. 3 tall storeys, basement and attic.
Polished granite base, rusticated ashlar to ground and
1st floors, polished above.
1883-6 SECTION: 5 N bays in Robertson Street, round-
arched openings to ground, 3 central form main loggia
entrance flanked by 2 boldly modelled projecting ships
prows, pedimented 1st floor, tetrastyle temple
frontispiece above with exotic composite capitals and
elaborately sculptured pediment with crowning Neptune
set-piece. Mullion and transom 2nd floor windows, taller
1905-8: 4 bays attached to S gable following 1883-6
designs with imposing circled corner with pilastered
drum, dome and crowning cupola. Details similar to
earlier block; engaged columns paired at angle with
oculus over each 2nd floor window, entablature much high
quality sculpture in capitals and bold sculptural
decoration at upper levels including figures of Watt,
Telford and Henry Bell (commissioned 1907) 2 massive
sculptures frame dome (1908).
INTERIOR: Exceptionally fine Edwardian interior work in
main rooms. Ionic dome detail of loggia continued in
entrance hall; at rear tall business hall with engaged
Pascal-type banded Doric columns flanking angles, boldly
coffered ceiling. Stair: ceramic tiled walls, cast-iron
balusters with regular out-flankers (braces) in similar
elegant design, screen at 2nd floor (now filled) leading
to elaborate 8-bay corridor (off-set at S) with
pendentive domes on engaged columns (subtle variation in
TRUST HALL: circular meeting hall, domed, 3 windows at
street angle, opposite 3 boldly columned bays with
nautical details, stencilled decoration; floral swagged
plasterwork in dome; stained glass in upper lights. Board
Room: tall room in centre of original frontispiece,
panelled for approx 10' with embossed paper to upper
walls, painted and panelled ceiling; large sliding doors
with elaborate hinges to rooms at either end; ship over
chimneypiece and original screen (could be raised and
lowered); stained glass in upper lights. 2 committee
rooms and dining room handsomely detailed, panelled etc.
All rooms contain original furnishings. Tall brick flue
with corbelled coping.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.