This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 58836 65490
  • Coordinates258836, 665490


James Miller, 1925-27. Modern classical 8-storey and

raised basement commercial building. 9 x 6 bays.

Ashlar. Plinth forming stylobate for giant order of

engaged Greek Ionic fluted colonnade in antis to St

Vincent Street, pilastrade to Renfield Street; wide

angle pilasters with rosette necking; basement set

behind colonnade storey above with channelled masonry,

continuing 1 bay to eastern return; plain windows in

deep reveals, tall metal glazed section lighting banking

hall at raised ground floor; metal frieze; 1st floor

windows plain, bold entablature with dentil band metal

plain 2nd floor windows with elaborate Greek key

frieze above forming cill band to 3rd and supporting

giant pilastrade rising to 5th floor with metal panels

between floors; rosette frieze and cornice. 6th floor

with plain bipartite windows, rosette frieze and very

elaborate main cornice. 1 bay northern return to West

George Lane continues main elevation detailing. Rear

elevation with twin towers of white glazed brick, metal

catwalks at 3rd to 6th floors.

INTERIOR: Marble columned banking hall (lowered ceiling).

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly Union Bank. The idea for the design came from

the work of York and Sawyer (Chicago).

Upgraded B to A 21.7.88



Information by courtesy of Buildings of Scotland

Research Unit. Gomme and Walker 1968, pp. 228, 295. Doak

(ed) 1977, No 171. S R Archives, D of G 1925/385.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at