Sir J J Burnet (Burnet, Son and Dick), 1926-9, major internal remodelling 1986/7. Modern classical, 7-storey and basement
commercial building on corner site. 5 x 5 wide bays. Ashlar,
granite plinth. Central entrance with flanking attached
columns supporting lettered panel with relief sculpture
"NORTH BRITISH & MERCANTILE BUILDING" Diocletian window above,
flanked by Doric columns supporting (later) crouching figure
sculpture; figure sculpture above entrance on carved bracket,
St Andrew, by Archibald Dawson dated 1927 flanking figure
circa 1952. Ground floor plain arcade, on coupled Doric
columns with rosette necking in outer bays at St Vincent
Street; ground floor cill band, corniced windows, with
stylised keyblocks recessed between ground and 1st floor,
below Diocletian windows, diminutive aedicule with open
segmental pediment in central light above entrance bay. All
windows casement with metal glazing bars. 2nd floor windows
with moulded cills, keyblocked above every 3rd window. Slightly projecting plain 3rd floor entablature forms 4th floor cill
band. 6th floor cill band, every third window keyblocked with
voussoirs. Bold cornice with dentil band broken in 1st bay from
S at West Campbell Street by corniced wallhead stack slightly
advanced and rising from base plinth. Sculpted cartouche
with lettering "NB&M" on SW angle between 5th and 6th floors.
White brick rear elevation with ashlar dressings to coupled
ground floor arcade.
Boundary grey granite are with bold piers walls to St Vincent
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.