Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 06/07/1966
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59024 65544
- Coordinates259024, 665544
Sir J J Burnet (Burnet Son and Campbell) 1886. 3 storeys, sunk basement; 5 bays arranged 1-3-1. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor. Similar architraved entrances in outer bays with diminutive tripartite windows above; architraved basement lights with pilaster mullions, wrought-iron grilles, and linking bands; 3 single-light sash
and case windows in recessed margins at ground floor. 1st floor solid parapet with panelled pedestals, breaking forward on consoles to form shallow balconies in outer bays in front of plain recessed windows; outer sculpture groups surmount corniced channelled pedestals; central 3-bay section giant order of superimposed Ionic columns framing arched windows glazed at 2nd floor, springing from wide pilasters; main cornices breaking forward to form sculpture podia, plain small circular windows in outer bays. 3rd floor tall frieze; single, standing sculpted figure by John Mossman on each column (Flaxman, Wren, Purcell and Reynolds). Eaves cornice, parapet, end stack.
INTERIOR: only fragments survived the 1932 fire and later reconstruction.
Statement of Special Interest
B N April 2, 1886. Doak (ed) 1977, No 103. Illustration before removal of some of exterior detail. July 9, 1898. D Walker in A Service, THE ORIGINS OF EDWARDIAN ARCHITECTURE. Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 200-1, 255, 297.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.