Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/04/1989
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 57103 65151
- Coordinates257103, 665151
1926, completed 1931 by Cowans Sheldon and Co Ltd under the
supervision of Daniel Fife Mechanical Engineer to the Clyde
Navigation Trust. 175 ton giant cantilever quayside crane.
Lattice, steel girder tower, with the only example of a
personnel lift ever fitted to a British crane; the tower
supports a roller track on which rotates the asymmetrical
cantilever truss gib with motor room and counter weight at
the short end. The only British crane ever fitted with a
horizontal rail for the Jigger hoist handling light loads.
Statement of Special Interest
In March 1928 proposals to build a high level of bridge over
the Clyde, which would have seriously interfered with the
working of the Clyde Navigation Trusts Finnieston crane, led
to the commissioning of a new crane 500 feet downstream for
which the Corporation agreed to pay 85% of the $69,000 plus,
cost. The bridge was not built but the Trustees got their
crane. It is also of considerable interest that Arrols, the
local firm and the one with the greatest experience in the
field of giant cantilevered cranes did not win the contract.
Of the 42 or so giant cantilever cranes built throughout the
world Arrols constructed 40. In Britain 27 of these giant
cranes were built, 15 survive, 7 only remain in Scotland.
The Stobcross Crane, apart from the original features noted,
is one of only 3 cranes of the type built for port
authorities. Because of its prominent site it symbolises
more than any of the others, Glasgow's past industrial
greatness. It is not (1988) in full working order.
Information from Mr Brian Newman. THE DOCK AND HARBOUR
AUTHORITY 1932 August No 142 vol xii pp 2-7.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.