Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 55422 65762
- Coordinates255422, 665762
James Salmon and Son, and J G Gillespie, 1899. Glasgow-style, 5-storey, 3 by 2-bay with canted corner bay. Ground floor curved corner entrance by Derwent Wood, a boldly sculptured trireme's prow with BLB on sails between 2 winged "Winds" sitting on Corinthian capitals.
Water Row elevation: 2 arched windows between columns with lively capitals by Johan Keller. Stair entrance and plain modern shop front to N; cornice. 1st floor; 3 large depressed arched windows between pilasters. Floors above have Art Nouveau detailing to window heads.
N bay has shallow canted windows at 2nd to 4th floors, tripartites under steep pediment flanked by wallhead stack. Deep projecting eaves over central bays. Corner bay windows canted out at 1st and 4th floors.
Remarkable lead-covered crown at top with flanking wallhead stacks.
Govan Road elevation: arched window between columns with lively capitals. Large altered plain window to W; cornice. W bay advanced 1st floor tripartite depressed arched and pilastered window. 2nd and 3rd floor bipartites in ogee pediment. 4th floor low round-headed keystoned window. Parapet. Middle bay, plain small and large windows 2nd to 4th floors under projecting eaves. E bay, 1st floor elaborate ogee pediment to window.
All windows have original glazing except some at 4th floor and the ground floor.
Bank interior modern.
Statement of Special Interest
Category A for its sculpture.
Doak (ed) (1977), 157 Service (ed) (1975) pp239, 243. Dean of Guild Drawings, dated 1 September 1897, in Worsdall Collection (Ref G2). Information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.