This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 06/07/1966


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 55362 65794
  • Coordinates255362, 665794


Sir R Rowand Anderson, designed 1892, built 1902-5.

Early 17th century Scots Renaissance style; ashlar.

W elevation of MacLeod Hall: tall 6-bays with columned

and richly pedimented exit inscribed "Quit ye like men".

Modern door, in keeping with the original. Octagonal

projecting stair tower with bipartites and ogee roof. 4

tall transomed bipartites with rich pediments between

buttresses. Slate roof and central louvred timber belfry

under lead cupola with balustrade. Big curvilinear gables

to N and S.

Govan Road, S elevation: advanced end of MacLeod Hall

fronted by curvilinear gable with a fully rigged carvel

finial and obelisks. Ground floor; 3 tripartites with

"The Pearce Institute" inscribed in tympana of segmental

pediments. Large mullioned and transomed pilastered

window with a corbelled cill and ornate strapwork

pediment with 2 flanking canopied niches.

2-storey central block (tea room and Lithgow Hall); 5

ground floor bipartites. Corbelled balcony over with

cast-iron railing, reached by 2 small doors. 1st floor, 4

pedimented dormer heads and central wallhead stack with

segmental pedimented clock projecting on consoled

bracket. Ridge stack. Main entrance richly carved with

obelisks in advanced 2-storey and attic gabled bay.

Small ground floor window; 1st floor ogee-capped oriel,

small strapwork headed windows in 1st floor and in

crowstepped gable topped by stack.

Pearce Street elevation: stepped 2-storey and attic and

3-storey. Large mullioned and transomed stair window.

Pedimented dormers and dormer heads, crowstepped gable

and stack. Pend bay links the northern crowstepped

gable block with "the cottage" at ground floor, Stephen

and Fairfield Halls above, having canted oriel with ogee


N elevation ashlar, with walls facing court of yellow


Interior: simple entrance hall, large main stair with

modern mural. Simply tiled and panelled corridors;

MacLeod Hall, high panelled dado, gilded armorial

pediments over windows in transverse arches. Barrel

vault panelled ceiling. Organ centrepiece with fine wood

and metal work. Lithgow Hall, 1st floor on Govan Road,

frontage, medium sized, panelled dado, fireplace inscribed

"Welcome", and pointed vaulted ceiling. Fairfield Hall,

1st floor at rear, Pearce Street, panelled dado and

ceiling, stone fireplace, oriel. Stephen Hall above,

identical but with mansard roof and oculus. Gym, plain

with large windows to yard. Restaurant, panelled dado,

simple fireplaces. Billiard Room, top-lit from high

mansard roof, panelled dado and original art nouveau

suspended light fittings. Many smaller committee rooms

and others of social history interest, particularly the

Demonstration Room, with large fireplace and steep rows

of school benches to teach female Govanites cooking


Statement of Special Interest

The P.I. was given to Govan by the widow of Sir Wm

Pearce, 1835-88, owner of Fairfield shipyard and MP for

Govan. It was administered by Govan Old Parish Church

and the main hall is named after its minister Rev Dr

John MacLeod 1875-98, but was non-sectarian.

Now run by a Development Committee.

Of great importance to Govanites and of interest to social




Doak (ed) (1977) 117

S R Archives D of G H-Gov 37/652 (1903 and 1906)

Brotchie (1905) p195-6

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at