This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 54688 66024
  • Coordinates254688, 666024


Honeyman and Keppie, dated 1890. Long classic 2-storey red ashlar office block.

Central 3-bay section: ground floor channelled ashlar, polished above. Advanced wide central bay with architraved and pedimented doorpiece supporting mermaids, set in arched panel; flanking statues of a mariner and a shipwright on trireme podia. Dentil cornice forms base for pedimented temple with 2 inner Corinthian columns fronting 3 large mullion and transom stained glass windows; balustrade over main entrance. 2 flanking cross windows with pilasters; 8 bays to either side with 1st floor pilastraded drawing offices. 3-storey tower at W end, Doric columned openings at 2nd floor. 6 bays to W with arched ground floor windows and blocked pedimented door dated 1890. 1st floor pilastrade. E end: E-facing pediment over pilasters, intersected by 1903 addition for gangway to new offices. 1-storey lodge with arched entrance and bipartites to E. 2 tall domed gatepiers, channelled at base.

Brick rear with ashlar band course and details. Curved section at E with arched 2nd floor windows and ashlar parapet. 3-storey square Italianate water tower with arched door and arched bipartite 1st floor window. Water tank, behind balustrade, is carried on brick piers and

Doric columns.

Nearly all windows to N and S are original sash and case 2-pane below, 9-pane above. M-roof, slate and glass, modern behind pediment.

Interior: mosaic floor in vestibule with modern "GS" insertion, ornate wrought-iron banister to stairs. Board room: fine carved wooden fireplace with portrait of Sir Wm Pearce, walls two thirds panelled. Geometric plaster ceiling, Corinthian columns and stained glass windows.

Arched corridors. 1st floor an open drawing office with wooden beams to M-roof and cast-iron columns supporting valley.

Statement of Special Interest

1956 extension to west not part of the listing.



Plans held by Govan Shipbuilders (A1) Hume (1974) p261

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at