Angus Kennedy: 1st drawings December 1868, working
details summer 1869, completed 1871, in full production
1874. Engine Works approx 300' square, with 2 erecting
shops added to W by Wm Arrol in 1906 and 1916.
S elevation: giant classical brick facade, 9 bays, each
separated by paired pilasters. 1869 Engine Works: 7
bays masking fitting/machine shops and 3 intermediate
galleried bays. Bays fronting galleries and 4th, W,
machine shop have 2 ground floor round-headed windows
and 2 1st floor windows, all blocked. 1st E, machine
shop: round arched doorway and original massive wooden
hinged door with multi-paned iron-framed glazed light
above and 2 42-paned windows. 2nd shop bigger moulded
keystoned arch, over 30-foot tall, with multi-paned
glazing over modern roller door. 3rd machine shop
identical except blocked door.
Side Walls: 9-bay, with 3 tall arched and keystoned
doorways, part blocked, between pilasters. The other
bays had tall round-headed windows, blocked in 19th
century and false 1st floor windows (never glazed). E.
wall now behind metal cladding. W wall seen from 1906
N Wall is similar to S but with a circa 1920 building
Entablature, cornice, slate roof glazed at ridge. Behind
the perimeter ridges, roofs over machine shops are glazed
and over galleries slated (all as built).
2 W bays (Wm Arrol): 1st bay 1906, built to match Boiler
Shop at E (by A Myles 1889, demolished). Paired
pilasters and large central arched doorway, flanking
round-headed windows and 4 upper level windows in
panels, all false. W bay, 1916, similar but wider, with
modern cladding to W wall.
Most windows were blocked before 1900, and those along
sides and in Arrol block were always blind.
Interior: 4 machine, turning and fitting shops aligned
N-S, each 300' long with 50' spans. 3 intermediate
gallery bays, 30' spans, formerly held 2 upper levels for
lighter work, tool room millwrights etc. (upper galleries
and parts of lower galleries removed 1938, but part
remains at S end of eastmost gallery). Internal brick
buttresses stretch about 10' into the works to strengthen
wall at ends of each row of stanchions. 6 rows of 8
cast-iron I-section stanchions. Each stanchion carries 3
pairs of bracing struts branching out to carry 2 cast-iron
box girders at gallery levels and larger top malleable iron
girder for travelling crane. Top struts are timber, and
carry timber king-post roofs. New breeze block partition
between 2nd gallery and 3rd machine shop. Some
stanchions are encased in concrete. Brick walls have
relief arches and fittings for jib cranes.
Arrol's erecting shops at W: internal steel frame carries
crane girders. Ridge and furrow steel tie glazed roof on
steel lattice girders.
Statement of Special Interest
"The finest surviving engineering works in Scotland and
perhaps in Britan "(Hume, 1976, p24). It is probable
that no other similar building, employing an internal
cast-iron frame, exists on such a scale anywhere else in
the world. The cast-iron stanchions are a characteristic of
Scottish engineering works, but few have survived, and
those that do (such as Linthouse and the Caledonian
Ironworks) are less massive than here. Few heavy
engineering works elsewhere in the world can have been on
this scale and even fewer would have cast-iron as opposed
to timber, wrought-iron, brick or steel vertical
Built for the biggest private shipyard in the world, this
building produced the engines for such pioneering ships
as the LIVADIA, CAMPANIA and LUCANIA.
Randolph, Elder and Co, pioneers of the Compound
Engine, were founded in 1852 and moved in the 1960s to
Fairfield. From 1869 to 1888 the company was run by
William Pearce, and was renamed in 1885 the Fairfield
Shipbuilding and Engineering Co Ltd.
List excludes metal-clad, steel framed bay at W, addition
to N, internal breeze-block partition, modern stair in
front of second bay and metal cladding on E wall.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.