Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 56908 65009
- Coordinates256908, 665009
Burnet, Son and Campbell, dated 1894. Mixed Italian and Romanesque brick with red ashlar details. Single-storey 7-bay pump-house with Romanesque blind arcade over windows. Parapet raised at S corner with blocked oculi.
2-storey elevation to W with arched ground floor. 6 1st floor windows and corbelled cornice. Arch at S behind small flat-roofed section. 2 large arched doors to N, the smaller under a balustrade, the larger in gable end of tall pumproom. Slate roof and long ridge ventilator.
Fine square heavily machicolated accumulator tower with pilaster strips and tall round-headed windows. Arched door to W under C. N. T. shield. Curved wall with balustrade.
Octagonal chimney, originally 172'6" cut down to 55' in 1927, with stone course and sculpted panels of the Four Winds. Curved front wall inscribed "Clyde Navigation Trust".
Interior of lower section divided by original arched brick wall. Cast-iron columns and steel beams. Small platform and large vertical cast-iron pipes near W wall.
Accumulator tower retains its original hydraulic equipment in 2 tall rivetted cylinders.
Windows have original glazing patterns.
Statement of Special Interest
Built for the Clyde Navigation Trust, James Deas, Resident Engineer, to power the travelling cranes in Prince's Dock (opened Sept. 1895). List excludes modern flat-roofed extension to W.
Hume (1974) pp 127,237
S.R. Archives T-CN 14/464/14/11 (partial demolition of chimney, 1927).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.