This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 57467 63358
  • Coordinates257467, 663358


Alexander Thomson, in stages, begun circa 1852; built for John Blair, merchant, in a setting then rural. Well-preserved Thomsonesque villa with Romanesque detailing and tower, 1/2 storeys, broad-eaved shallow- pitched gabled (slated) roofs of various levels, round-arched openings with rusticated arches, shafted mullions. Complex plan, original part roughly L-shaped with open porch; more than doubled in size by (lower)

additions (1855-8) to W and to N and extending E entrance front. Snecked stone-cleaned yellow rubble and ashlar dressings; mainly sash windows (original glazing); stacks mostly with Thomsonesque chimney cans. Tower is a storey higher, square lights below eaves, elaborate metal roof finial. Interior ornament also survives mainly intact. Billiards room added to W circa 1880.

Gabled single storey and attic T-plan LODGE, of 1852-6 is similarly detailed, 3 arcaded gable-head lights, above porch, face Albert Drive; distinctive gatepiers with ornate original timber gates; BOUNDARY WALLS to S (Ayton Road) and to E (Sheilds Road) were rebuilt circa 1873, to enclose a greter area; fireclay balustrade at S, and distinctive wide gateway.

Statement of Special Interest



MacFadzean, 1979, p.32ff (including plans etc); Glasgow at a Glance.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at