Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

2060 POLLOKSHAWS ROAD, POLLOK HOUSE INCLUDING SERVICE COURT, FORECOURT, GARDEN WALLING AND PAVILIONSReference: LB33455

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 06/07/1966

Location

  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 54867 61850
  • Coordinates254867, 661850

Description

Insufficiently documented, but architect likely to have

been somcone based in the west, such as Allan Dreghorn.

Dated 1752. Large piend-roofed box-type house with

additions by Sir R Rowand Anderson from 1890 onwards

for Sir John Stirling Maxwell, these essentially

comprising the wings and entrance hall (1890),

reconstructed forecourt to NE, garden pavilions to SW

(1903), offices to NW.

Pollok House, together with the contents and grounds,

was presented to the people of Glasgow by Mrs Anne

Maxwell MaDonald in 1966 and is now a museum, the

grounds a public park.

ORIGINAL HOUSE: 3 storeys over half-raised basement -

fully raised to garden front - plain elevations,

rusticated quoins, keystoned lintels at ground and 1st

floors; off-set over base course and - unusually - over

band course at 1st floor; advanced, pedimented

centrepiece to forecourt (NE), single wall-plane to

garden (excluding off-sets), wide centre bay with

entrance in Venetian window arrangement, sculptured

swags either side of each upper floor window (3 further

plain bays each side). Deep main cornice; bell-cast

slated roof with stacks at leaded platform, and over

flank wall-heads. Internal layout departs from the norm,

centre entrance hall full depth of house and well-lit to

garden, columned screen; also cross-ways full length

corridor; open main stair on right hand on entering

(concealed service stair occupies corresponding position

on basically symmetrical plan); dining and drawing rooms

of equal size, separated by hall, both facing garden

and containing some of the high quality original

decorative plasterwork in the house.

ADDITIONS: (Anderson's work respected the original house

so far as could be): sympathetic restrained Gibbsian/

William Adam style; FLANKING WINGS (library to SE,

billard room to NW) are single storey with Venetian

windows to the garden like the garden doorway; ENTRANCE

HALL is D-ended on plan and re-uses original doorcase,

double flighted stair within; KITCHEN at NW has roof-

dome, large cast-iron range; OFFICES extending NE have

pedimented round-arched pend, with sculptured ornament,

facing court and driveway. FORECOURT is enclosed by tall

walls, channelled piers at intervals and at gateway, all

with urns; decorative cast-iron gates.

Terraced GARDEN to SW with ogee-roofed pavilions,

balustrades, steps.

Statement of Special Interest

References

Bibliography

POLLOK HOUSE (Guide book); Sir John Stirling Maxwell,

SHRINES AND HOMES OF SCOTLAND (Sir John - mentioned

above - attributed the house to William Adam [d. 1748],

but that ascription now seems doubtful).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 25/05/2016 17:53