This website uses cookies. Find out more.OK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.


  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 58916 64583
  • Coordinates258916, 664583


Peter Nicholson, 1802-4. Classical 3-storey and basement 35-bay pedimented terrace. Ashlar front, channelled on ground floor. Curved Doric portico with balustrade and fanlight doors in advanced 6 bay centre, divided by 7 pilasters rising through 2nd and 3rd floors. Doric entablature. Main block to left has 4 original half-pilastered doorpieces. 1st floor 2-pane windows break through string course having cast iron balconies. Block to right was identical until 1902, when

architect R Duncan gave Nos 55-61 a new double pilastered doorway, blocking 2 old doorways and a mansard roof with cast iron brattishing.

Pavilion at No 40, 5 bays and Ionic aedicule door, the only original pavilion left. 7 bays front 16 Nicholson Street with a lower 3 bay continuation.

Interior: No 50-53, Laurieston House has exceptional plaster work with columns, pilasters, swags and cherubs in vestibule and stair well. Rubble rear with projecting curved stair turrets.

Cast iron railings and bootscrapers to front. Slate roof. Ridge stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally 40 bays. No 63, pavilion, was replaced in 1908 by

a 5-storey red sandstone building, now 2 storey and not

listed. Listed A for quality of Laurieston House plasterwork.

Upgraded B to A 17.6.86.



Doak (ed) 1977 18, Gomme and Walker 1968 p.723. SR Archives

D of G 2/2253, 1/8765, 2/1152.

Elspeth Gallie in SCOTTISH FIELD Aug 1959.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at