Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 29/01/1990
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 60569 67426
- Coordinates260569, 667426
James Miller, 1903-9 as offices for North British Locomotive Company; converted to engineering college 1962-5. 4 tall ranges about open square court, rich Edwardian baroque street elevation is symmetrical, red ashlar (remainder mostly clad in brick, courtyard clad with glazed tiles), 4 storeys including full attic storey, giant centrepiece and outer pavilions, intermediate 2-window bays with giant pilaster strips cladding steel framework; Ionic-columned entrance, broken pediment with flanking figures, tympanum carving includes locomotive; 3 light windows in centre with columned mullions; original glazing throughout, some glazing bars form a pediment shape. Other outer elevations plainer, series of roof-pitches each lit on N face. Principal rooms also have Edwardian Baroque ornament; 3 windows above main stair first world war memorial by William Meikle and Sons and unveiled in 1921. Impressive polychrome brick walls to courtyard.
Low range to E red brick; round-arched openings are large enough for locomotive to pass through.
Statement of Special Interest
Locomotive works opened by Lord Roseberry 10 September 1909 and closed 1962.
Statutory address updated 2010 following information from Glasgow City Council who noted that Springburn College (North Glasgow College) has moved out to a nearby purpose-built building. Formerly listed as '184 Flemington Street (formerly known as 110-136 (Even Nos) Flemington Street), Springburn College including Range to East'.
NORTH BRITISH LOCOMOTIVE CO LTD (1912 catalogue reprinted 1970); BUILDER, March 16th 1908.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.