Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59493 63750
- Coordinates259493, 663750
Gilbert Blount, 1868 (dated); rebuilt by Pugin and Pugin 1878-81, chancel and chapels completed 1895. Large gothic church with nave-and-aisles front to street. Stone-cleaned rock-faced ashlar.
Lofty gable, double doorway deeply recessed below large pointed opening, 3 tall stepped lights above, figure in gable head in canopied niche; projecting stair turret left; door and window in tall recessed panels at front of either aisle; side chapel right; grouped lancets to flanks; semi-octagonal chancel; slate roofs with decorative iron cresitng, iron railings to street. Elaborate interior, pointed aisle arcades on circular columns, white marble altar, series of leaded glass windows. Pulpit by Boulton of Cheltenham, in alabaster and marble, Caen stone relief panels.
Presbytery range by Pugin and Pugin, also gothic but plainer and built of lighter-coloured ashlar; 2 storeys with attics, mostly mullioned windows, lights with 2-centred-arched heads; wall-head dormers; slate roofs.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Williamson, et al GLASGOW, 1990, p509.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.