Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 59640 60269
- Coordinates259640, 660269
1806 neo-classical country house, 1823 flanking wings and alterations all probably by David Hamilton. Divided into flats 1985-6 by Classical House of Glasgow. Stone-cleaned polished pink (Bothwell stone) ashlar with architraves, channelled basement, panelled giant angle pilasters, corniced windows with continuous cill course at ground. Stonework repairs in red ashlar. Glazing all small-paned sashes.
HOUSE: (without known documentation, but attributed to Hamilton) originally free-standing, 2 storeys over semi-raised basement; 5-bay long elevations, their shallow advanced centres each with 3 close-spaced bays; West-facing door is central (panelled door with small-paned fanlight), flanking windows treated as sidelights, their aprons with Adamitic fluted panels, and all set behind tetrastyle Corinthian porch. Ground floor windows in outer bays have distinctive droopy consoles. Deep on plan, with 3-bay flanks; frieze, mutule cornice and blocking course to all elevations, blocking course raised and balustraded (E balustrade renewed over advanced centres; shallow-pitched piended and platformed (slated and leaded) roof, paired stacks rise above platform.
INTERIOR: much early/original cornice plasterwork lost through dry-rot damage; altered by conversion to flats; vestibule opens into top-lit stair hall, cantilevered stone steps, decorative cast-iron balusters.
WINGS: (Hamilton design documented) pair 2-storey roughly square-plan pavilion blocks repeat detailing of house but have low 1st floor with horizontally-proportioned windows; panelled giant pilasters divide bays on 3-bay W and E elevations, cill course at each level threaded behind order; 2-bay flanks; transversely-set central apex stack. One window on each pavilion altered 1985-6 to form door. 2-bay single storey and attic linking ranges, attic storey not original (presumably the unspecified alterations said to have been carried out in 1828) and concealed on W front behind blocking course (which was raised one masonry course) and pitch of roof, horizontally-proportioned windows face E.
Statement of Special Interest
J Guthrie Smith, OLD COUNTRY HOUSE OF THE OLD GLASGOW GENTRY 1870; (cited in Colvin, 1978, P383); Comme and Walker, 1987 p326.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.