John James Stevenson, 1898-1902. Scottish gothic church, with tall 2-stage tower and crown spire; asymmetrical; lower church and caretaker's house. Sited on ground falling sharply to River Kelvin.
Red sandstone ashlar, lightly stugged, squared and snecked, bull-faced to lower church and crypt. String and band courses. Chamfered arrises to principal openings with architraved surrounds. Cusped, curvilinear tracery.
W ELEVATION: Scottish 15th century gothic, gabled with crowsteps, entered from high-level bridge, Belmont Street, tower adjoined to left. Angle buttresses, set-off. Pointed arch doorway at centre; roll-moulded door surround, 2-leaf panelled doors, ashlar lintel; blind, traceried fanlight. Doorway flanked by angled nook-shafts with crocketted pinnacles and pointed arch, 3-light, traceried windows. Large, Y-traceried, 6-light pointed arch window above and cross finial.
TOWER: square with diagonal, off-set, angle buttresses. Tall 1st stage containing stair; entrance to N aisle by door on EW elevation, 2-leaf, with carved detail above lintel; further door below bridge, 2 segmental-arched, 3-light windows lighting stair to N; rectangular, 2- and 3-light traceried stair windows above, to N and W, small window at eaves level to W. Upper stage with 2, pointed arch louvred and traceried openings with deeply chamfered, moulded surrounds, to each face. Corbelled ashlar parapet featuring carved animals to corbel course, below crocketted ashlar crown spire with pinnacles tied into substantial, decorative, off-set gothic apex. Lighting conductor.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay lean-to 2-0storey aisle including lower church hall; by 3 round-arched 4-light traceried windows lighting hall at centre, pointed arch 2-light to outer left and 2 rectangular windows below round-arched window to outer right; ashlar masonry to aisle above with small, paired quatrefoil windows to each bay except outer left with single quatrefoil. 5 bays to clerestorey with pilasters dividing bays; paired pointed arch traceried windows to each bay, single window to outer left. Coped, crenellated parapet.
N ELEVATION: tower to right, 3 gabled bays to left. 4 windows to crypt; 6 irregular rectangular windows to lower church hall; paired pointed arch traceried windows lighting inner aisle, with crocketted pinnacles to dividing pilasters breaking string course to gabled clerestorey bay above, each with large rose window bearing individual tracery.
E ELEVATION: English 14th century gothic; shallow, canted apse with crenellated parapet, angle buttresses and pinnacles adjoined to gabled nave. Blank, parapetted bay to right.
CARETAKER'S HOUSE: adjoined to lower church at E elevation; harled, asymmetrical 2-storey house with canted, flat-roofed porch to left of canted centre bay breaking eaves with tripartite window in gablehead.
Some lead guttering. Leaded glazing. Green slates.
INTERIOR: irregular. Arcaded aisles to nave with polygonal ashlar columns; 2-storey, 3-bay, elliptical-arched arcade to N with panelled, timber gallery; gallery continuing to W; low segmental arches to S aisle. Whitewashed walls. Panelled timber soffits to ceiling flanking timber vault. Organ to E end. Communion table (sycamore) and elders' chairs (oak), Alfred Lochhead 1939. Later stained glass windows, Gordon Webster.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.