Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 06/07/1966
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 57976 67572
- Coordinates257976, 667572
1896-99, C R Mackintosh of Honeyman and Keppie. Built as Free Church, since 1977 the home of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society. Built in red sandstone ashlar with slate roof and red ridge tiles and occupying an imposing position. An original interpretation owing much to Richard Norman Shaw's Harrow Mission Church in Latimer Road, Hammersmith, London.
Rectangular plan with transepts and porch given emphasis by rising above low aisle; bold tapering tower with attached stair turret and entrance at base with perpendicular window above and louvred window in upper stage, derived from medieval tower of Merriott Church, Somerset, at SW angle. The prominent S elevation has 2 full-height gabled bays with large perpendicular gallery windows, adjoining tower, 2 low aisle bays spanned by a bold flying buttress; at the E a 2-storey porch with very original Art Nouveau details. W gable has a large perpendicular window.
INTERIOR: wide timber barrel-vaulted hall spanned by rolled steel tie beams. Passage aisle at S linking 2 entrances. Galleries at E and in SW projection, boldly cantilevered with pendant details. Screen below E gallery 1939-45 by Thomas Howarth. Furnishings designed by Mackintosh, rood beam reinstated 1990. W window with 3 coloured lights designed by Gordon Webster 1960.
THE HALL: reached by link to N from E end. Rectangular-plan with typical Mackintosh open-trussed roof and top lighting. Tall dado panelling with deep cornice.
Statement of Special Interest
No longer in ecclesiastical use.
Howarth, CHARLES RENNIE MACKINTOSH (1977) pp175-8. Buildings of Scotland, Glasgow pp326-7.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.