Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

62 TEMPLETON STREET, TEMPLETON CARPET FACTORYReference: LB33857

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 06/07/1966

Location

  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 60325 64163
  • Coordinates260325, 664163

Description

Carpet factory built in stages, principal element William Leiper's spectacular Venetian gothic facade of 1889, to W. Other ranges mostly red brick. Principally 4/3 storeys. Converted c1985 to a business centre, inner ranges demolished at that time to form a courtyard. LEIPER'S W RANGE red terra-cotta, multi-coloured glazed bricks and faience (the glaze damaged by cleaning), extravagantly detailed openings with cusping, mouldings, parapets, roundels at top floor; near symmetrical with emphasis at centre, stair turret corbelled at SW angle. Wide square tower set back from wall-heads rises a storey above. Carpet factory founded on this site 1857; earliest range was a cut-down (2-storey) former cotton mill of circa 1823 (demolished); additions include 1868-9 3-storey 16-bay range at S end of Templeton Street; weaving sheds 1881-9. Long (N) front to London Road, framed buildings, the earliest in red brick, built 1897; bays in vertical panels, 4 storeys plus full attic storey; to right (W), long range with deep recess, large glazed panels; at left, on corner with Templeton Street, fronted in glass with white faience bands between floors, 1934 addition by George Boswell who in 1938 also designed the SE range facing Glasgow Green, which similarly, is mostly glass-fronted, decorative polychrome upper works in deference to Leiper's building adjoining.

Statement of Special Interest

Contemporary comments on Leiper's bvuilding include "rather startling"; "the colours are harmonious, if rather louder than one is used to". (Buildings of Scotland notes).

References

Bibliography

Architect, December 27th 1889 (part fell during construction with loss of life, result of severe wind on an insufficiently-tied frame). Ironwork devised by Alex Harvey, (Mill engineer, Govan)l Hume 1974, F109; MacKean, SCOTTISH THIRTIES, 1987, pp70, 105 (including perspective of 1934 addition drawn by Ninian Johnstone).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 01/05/2016 18:27